Our lives are filled with events, from the annual to the once-in-a-lifetime. Naturally, we want to share these special moments with our loved ones, whether as a small intimate gathering or as a massive party, whatever your personal style is, it will shine through. From the moment your guests receive their invitation, it will set the tone for your event. A small wedding and a raucous child’s party are very different events, and need different invitation card sizes, to reflect the occasion. Obviously, there are no right or wrong sizes, and we can print whatever you wish for your function, but we can offer suggestions for what is generally considered to be a good size for each type of invitation.
Standard Invitation Size
We have put together a table that shows the different types, card sizes, and dimensions for each occasion. This will give you a guide to help you make the best decision for your forthcoming event.
|Type||Format||Folded Card||Unfolded Card||Best For|
|Rectangle||A1/Baronial||3.5 x 4.88 in||7 x 4.88 in||Invitations, thank you cards, RSVP cards|
|5 Baronial||4 x 5.25 in||8 x 5.25 in||Invitations, thank you cards, RSVP cards|
|A2/5.5 Baronial||4.25 x 5.5 in||8.5 x 5.5 in||Invitations, thank you cards, RSVP cards|
|A6/6 Baronial||4.5 x 6.25 in||9 x 6.25 in||Invitations, thank you cards, RSVP cards|
|A7/Lee (Standard)||5.13 x 7 in||10.5 x 7 in||Greeting cards, invitations, thank you cards|
|A8||5.38 x 7.88 in||10.63 x 7.88 in||Greeting cards, invitations, thank you cards|
|A9||5.63 x 8.63 in||11.5 x 8.63 in||Greeting cards, invitations|
|A10||5.88 x 9.25 in||11.75 x 9.25 in||Greeting cards, large invitations|
|Square||Small||5.5 x 5.5 in||5.5 x 11 in||Greeting cards, thank you cards, invitations|
|Medium||6.25 x 12.5 in||6.25 x 12.5 in||Greeting cards, large invitations|
Different Types of Invitation for Different Events
- Weddings – wedding invitation cards look best on a large rectangular card such as 5.13″ x 7″ or a 5.88″ x 9.25″, which gives room to enclose information cards, and RSVPs
- Birthday parties – birthdays may be a regular birthday, for which you could use a smaller rectangular or square card, 4″ x 5.25″, or a special birthday such as 50th or 21st. Special birthdays may be better on a larger card, 5.63″ x 8.63″, allowing room inside for RSVP cards or information cards.
- Baby showers – another one-off special celebration, though these can often be small events, so depending on the scale of the event a large or small size baby shower invitation may be used. We generally suggest using a smaller rectangular card for a more intimate occasion, and a larger size for a bigger function.
- Graduation parties – choose a rectangular or square card depending on the size of the party.
- Anniversary parties – the importance and nature of the anniversary will dictate your choice. A large business anniversary may need an impressively large rectangular invite such as the 5.63″ x 8.63″ while a small paper wedding anniversary may be perfectly celebrated with a small invitation card like the 3.5″ x 4.88″.
- Retirement parties – retirement can be a sensitive occasion both for the business and the individual, a discrete-sized invite such as the 4.5″ x 6.25″ is a popular choice.
- Church confirmations – tend to be tasteful and reserved, a quiet celebration, go for a smaller rectangle around the 4″ x 5.25″ size.
- Funerals – similar to church confirmations, funeral invitations are generally ideal as a smaller rectangle around the 4″ x 5.25″ size.
- Special sales events – big and bold, and statement-making, will showcase your sales event. Why not go for the largest square size the 6.25″ x 6.25″.
- Business conferences, seminars, and trade shows – know your audience. Often it is worth going big to catch people’s attention with the 5.88″ x 9.25″. But consider your customers and maybe consider a slightly more reserved 5.38″ x 7.88″.
- VIP nights and open houses – go for large and impressive invitations that will make people take notice, such as the 6.25″ x 6.25″ or 5.88″ x 9.25″
Things to Consider for Creating Invitation Cards
There are many points to consider when creating the perfect invitation for your next event, but with us, we will work with you to achieve the right look for your occasion.
Budget will affect the size of your invitation cards, and those operating on a tighter budget may opt for smaller sizes for cost-efficiency.
If you are planning your event well ahead of time, we can plan for whatever invitation sizes you require. If you are in a hurry and need a speedy delivery, we will always work with you to fulfil your delivery time, but it may be worth speaking to us to see if the invitation size will affect the delivery time.
Different colours work best on different-sized cards. If you are unsure of what the best size is for your colours, simply speak to our experienced team for advice.
The font is very evocative. The font choice will set the tone for your event, from vintage to bubble, make sure your font matches the style of your event.
Size isn’t a standalone decision. The balance of the overall invitation must be taken into consideration, the combination will work together to create the perfect invitation for you.
Let us work with you to assist you with composition to ensure that you end up with the perfect finished invitation.
Choosing The Right Card Size For Your Event
Work with the experienced team at SJ Print MK to ensure you can enjoy the perfect invitation to start your event off in the very best style. We will help you to consider all the factors to choose the best size invitation card for your next occasion.
Need Help with Printing Your Invitation?
We offer high-quality printing for all your printing needs, including invitation cards. To ensure that your event is showcased to the highest standard, make sure your invitation cards are printed by professionals of high quality. Speak to the experienced and knowledgeable team at SJ Print MK today.